Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Ruminations On WQ Paris

Ok, so I wrote earlier that I am torn between two Study Abroad Programs for Winter Quarter next year. My options are International Studies or Social Sciences, both in Paris. I've thought on it a lot over the last 12 or whatever hours, talked it through with some people I trust a lot, and I think I've decided. But I'll still share my ruminations just to reassure myself or whatever.

The Courses

IS-Three required courses: Lecture Series on International Organizations (which sounds AMAZING), Intro to European Issues 2 (not sure why its a 2?) and French in Paris. Plus one elective.

SS-Two required courses: Introduction to the European Union (which also sounds amazing), and French in Paris. Plus two electives.

HOWEVER, I probably won't have to take French in Paris because I'm so far along in French that it would be pointless, which means I would get another elective.

For sure one of the electives I would take would be History of Paris, the others are unknown because they won't actually know until next fall what is being offered. They did assure me that History of Paris would be available.

So the decision is do I want the EU class + 3 electives? Or the Organizations class + the Europe Issues class (which sounds so-so) + 2 electives?

The people

I shouldn't really care about this, because by the time this program rolls around I will have been in Paris for at least 4 months. This means I will hopefully be independent, and I will hopefully have some friends in Paris? But the people situation could affect my decision? Maybe?

Here's the sitch: I know several people who are considering applying for the IS program. One of these people (no names) is one that I don't really want to do the program with. I know that this person will not appreciate the city like I will, and I don't want to deal with someone putting down my city (because its already been decided that I love Paris). Also, I am fairly good friends with this person, and I know that they will want to hang out, and I know that the kinds of things I will want to do and they will want to do will be very different. Basically I feel like if I do this program with this person it could very well be the end of whatever friendship we have. Is it worth that? Otherwise I know that the majority of the kids applying for the SS program are going to be econ majors. Can I deal with that?

THE DECISION

So here is what I came up with.

First, in regards to courses. I'm going to go for the IS. I think having to take three electives and only one set course isn't really worth it. The IS program has at least one interesting class, and the European Issues one could be cool. Depends. AND I've come up with a plan. I'm going to try to take the EU class as one of my electives. That will only really work if they have room for me in the class, which could hinge on the SS program being full, but still, I'm going to try to weasel my way in as best I can.

In regards to people. Since course-wise the IS program is a much better fit, I'm going to bite the bullet with this person that could potentially be there. I'm going to hope that by the time they get to Paris I will have already created a routine, and hopefully found a niche, so I will let them make what they want of the program, but I won't really interact with them. One thing that could help me with this is if I can keep my same room over the Winter Break. Meaning, I don't change my room to be closer to my program. This way I keep myself isolated, and hopefully I have fun friends by where my room is anyways!

So yeah, IS Program, I AM APPLYING FOR YOU. Hopefully I'll get in and these ruminations will be worthwhile?

No comments: