Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Let's Talk About Cycling

Some people have recently told me they think I should run for political office and help fix the world, or whatever. While I think this is valid, and that I am quite obviously the person necessary to fix our world, I feel like I have another calling. That is, I feel like I am going to be the one that swoops in and fixes cycling.

Cycling is broken? Yeah, it is really broken. As terrible as it sounds, since Lance Armstrong retired the sport has been plagued with too much drama. I'm not saying that Lance was what held the sport together in the first place, just that it's pretty convenient that since he's left the sport has gone to shit. I guess there are several key problems the sport has right now:

1. Drug Usage -- This is the most obvious. The last two Tours de France have been ruined because of drug drama. In 2006 it was Operacion Puerto that took out all of the favorites, and then Floyd Landis tested positive for testosterone after he won the race. Last year several high profile riders were thrown out of the race for various drug-related reasons, scaring the race a little bit.

2. Reputations -- If a riders name comes up ONCE then they are blacklisted for life. This wouldn't be so bad, but I feel like at this point a lot of people are just shouting names out to get the attention away from them. Thus, riders are being forced into early retirement because they can't find a contract or aren't allowed to race.

3. Disharmony in the Main Governing Bodies -- It's like the fucking Cold War or something right now. The UCI (cycling's main governing body), the rider's union, the team sponsors, the race organizers, WADA (world anti-doping agency), NO ONE CAN GET ALONG. For the most part they won't even talk to one another, let alone make any decisions. What happens, then, is that race organizers make decisions contrary to the governing body, which screws teams over.

Take today for example. Astana was not invited to the Tour de France this year. They have ABSOLUTELY nothing going against them accept for a bad rep, from what Vino (who is retired now) did last year. The only thing similar between last year's Astana and this year's Astana is a half dozen young Kazakh boys and the team name. So why isn't Astana being included? I have no idea.

I guess my calling is to come in and completely reorganize this sport. There needs to be discussion between the different parties involved, and past problems need to be forgotten in order to have a better future. I guess my role will be the voice of reason in bringing these groups together. I'll be like a Jesus or something. And then I guess I'll run for President of the World.

-------------------------------------------------------

*UPDATE*

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/feb08/feb14news1

Please note the article about Contador. The kid has had nothing but bad luck. Seriously, he deserves the honor of being able to defend his title. Get over it ASO.

No comments: