Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Faculty Roundtables

The Class of 2010 Faculty Roundtables were tonight. Basically this was just a fancy dinner where second years got free food and had to sit at a table with a member of the faculty (from the department of our choice). It was pretty awkward because I didn't really know anyone at my table, but here are some highlights.

-The faculty member assigned to my table was Dean Merritt, head of Study Abroad (niiiice).

-Dean Merritt talked about Russia the WHOLE time, and I don't actually know much about Russia so I just nodded my head a lot.

-Also, we were all talking before about how we were nervous about table manners, and I'm pretty sure Dean Merritt's were the worst.

-I made an ass of myself in front of John Mearsheimer (aka really important poli sci prof).

-Charles Lipson (another poli sci prof) told me the chances of Obama winning the democratic nomination were 74/26... I'm pretty sure he was basing this off of the odds in Vegas.

-Lipson also told me I had to watch the movie Badass, which after he described it (because I had no idea what he was talking about) I figured out he actually meant Superbad. It was funny because he kept cackling about McLovin, and I've seen the film, but I didn't want to say anything to avoid a potentially awkward situation.

-I did not like whatever the fuck we were served. It was like chicken with something sweet inside, but I didn't like the inside so I tried to eat the chicken... lol.

It was a good experience. I think I hit it off well with Dean Merritt and Lipson, so those will be good connections to have. Heh, I'm such a networker.

No comments: