Friday, January 11, 2008

This Shouldn't Be So Bad?

So I've managed to complete a full week of classes, work, extra-curriculars, etc. and although I've been dreading this quarter with an intense passion, it's not so bad. Right?

Generally I like my classes. War and the Nation State with John Mearsheimer is absolutely amazing. Wednesday I go there and there were about ten seats left, in a lecture hall for 200, and I was early! He's really accommodating, though, and let's people sit on the floor. His lecture was amazing. He went over the differences between battle tactics of the 1700s and 1800s, giving us specific diagrams as to how battles were fought. In a way it feels like I'm sitting in on an army briefing or something. It's amazing. And, Mearsheimer is incredibly engaging as a lecturer, so I haven't had any ADD problems.

French Lit is pretty great too. The time period of our literature is the 1700s, pre-Revolution. In my opinion this was one of the best time periods for French thought, l'age des lumieres (aka the enlightenment). Professor Morrissey knows his stuff, and although the class is at 9:00 am and most people are still asleep, he manages to make it fun. For example, on Thursday we acted out the first few scenes of Turcaret by Lesage. It was engaging.

International Studies won't be as bad as last quarter. There are less idiots in my class, and we don't have to sit through Hevia's painful lectures. My lecturer this quarter is really chill, and I'm pretty sure she's making this up as she goes along, which is way better than anything Hevia ever did. It shouldn't be too much work either, just reading and a bit of writing. I can handle it.

Biology sucks. But I said that from day one. I just can't sit still for TWO FUCKING HOURS. I don't understand why they need to schedule lectures for that long. I haven't learned anything yet, and apparently the powerpoints are on-line so I don't have to take notes. Today I read the latest issue of Newsweek. It was more interesting than anything Pavlova said. The discussion/lab section should be a bit better. There are so cool kids in that section. Unfortunately mine is scheduled for Friday afternoon, which blows. Biology is going to be what ruins my quarter.

In terms of other things, I've got a lot on my plate. I'm working two Model UN Conferences, managing and officiating for two IM Sports teams, working at two sites for NSP, and I've got some Palevsky stuff to deal with. I like doing all this stuff (except maybe the Palevsky stuff) but it might take over my life a little bit. At least this stuff will distract me from hating bio?

The point is, I think I'll be able to manage this quarter all right. I hope? Winter quarter sucked last year, so I think that its good that I've got so much on my plate this time around.

No comments: