Thursday, March 20, 2008

#1 City in America

I forgot what it was like to live in a small town. Not that Madison is that small, but compared to Chicago it feels like the sticks.

Today I was waiting in line at Chipotle on the west side, and behind me I heard "Hey Nora! How's Chicago?" I turn around and its my old neighbor of more than 10 years. She's like 60 years old or something, and I remember her yelling at me for eating her raspberries many a summer. It felt really good to know that a) she recognized me, and b) she knew what I was doing with my life. Not that I'm conceited or anything, but after spending so much time in the anonymity that is Chicago, it was nice to feel like part of a community again.

I don't think I want to live in a small town when I grow up. I kind of like the fastpaced big city life where there is more than a Denny's open after 8 (not that Hyde Park can provide that, but still). But having my childhood in a place like Middleton was pretty special and if my parents continue to live there it will be a great place to go home to for the holidays or whatever.

That said Spring Break has been pretty chill. Just watching Basketball and shopping. My brother seems to think he's going to Montreal for Spring Break which is funny because a) he has no money, b) he doesn't have a passport, and c) is failing 3 classes. There will be many fights about this one, I can assure you. And, my parents think he is a "flight risk" and is going to try running away again.

Glory Glory Hallelujah.

No comments: