Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Last Day At My First Big Kid Job

Today was my last day the the 3rd Ward Alderman's Office. It was supposed to be a nice relaxing day, with a lunch in my honor... and then the Green Line derailed and we had to do damage control on the phones the whole time (because they cut the power to the whole neighborhood, and people were pissed... and the press wanted a statement from the Alderman).

Aside from the drama, I really enj0yed my time at the Alderman's Office. It was almost like a real desk job. I had my own desk, a computer, and a telephone. Ok, I had to share it with like three other people, but still.

I learned a lot of important things working for the Alderman. I got a new perspective on the South Side Community, and I learned the ins and outs of Chicago Power Politics. I also got to help bust a few prostitution rings.

I learned a few life skills too. I had my first real boss, one that demanded a lot from me (and scared the hell out of me). I was most certainly the bottom of the food chain, and had to work my way up to gain the respect of my co-workers (my first desk was in the hallway, no computer, no phone). I went from being the file bitch to the go to girl for all things computer. And I met a lot of cool people that I probably wouldn't have met normally.

I don't know if I'll go back to working at the 3rd Ward when I return from Paris. I do know, for sure, that I do not want to work in Chicago Politics. Those Daley's... damn, they've got this city wrapped around their fingers (and that's why shit like the Green Line derailing happens in the first place).

For now, I'm more or less unemployed until the first day of Camp (June 16th!), although I do have some meetings before then. Just means I'm going to get real poor, real fast.

No comments: