Sunday, April 27, 2008

Big City Livin'

Sometimes I forget that I live in one of the three largest cities in America, or whatever Chicago is. I guess Hyde Park is so far removed than anything that might be associated with big city livin' that I lose track of where I actually am.

Yesterday Jen (my roommate) and I went downtown to go shopping. The goal was to hit up Trader Joe's on Ontario and stock up on cheap, healthy snacks, however we went downtown at about 3 and ended up staying until 9 or so. We had a really good time just going in stores and trying stuff on. Kind of the touristy Midwest thing to do, but still a lot of fun. We also hit the Jambo Juice in the Hancock Building (cool) and Jen flirted her way to getting us free shots of wheatgrass (never again, it seriously does taste like grass). Trader Joe's was a success, I definitely spent waaay too much money, but I managed to FINALLY (!) buy a bag of boneless chicken breasts (which southside supermarkets don't seem to believe in).

Point is, it was nice to be a tourist in my town. It brings you back into perspective and reminds you where you are... and that you should take advantage of that.

That said I need to practice for when I'm in NYC in two (!) weeks... I've never been, and this time is as good as any to really explore the largest city in my country! If anyone has any recommendations as to what to check out, let me know, the city is so damn huge that I don't even know where to start.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

chicago is the 3rd largest city in the US after NYC and LA.