Sunday, June 29, 2008

Mingling with the Richies

Rhythm and Booms is a Madison tradition. Its this huge fireworks show that is timed to a musical track so that the booms of the fireworks fit the beats and high points of songs. Its actually pretty epic, and just about everyone in Dane County tries to see it. Thing is, going to the park its at is a total bitch. Luckily you can see the show from just about anywhere on Lake Mendota, a lake that I just happen to live very very close to (four houses up the hill from actually). Unfortunately our access point is overgrown, so its hard to see.

Never fear.

Some friends and I went to Bishop's Bay instead. Its sort of this really really nice country club about a mile west of my house. Like probably the nicest in Madison. None of my friends are members or anything, so we just sort of crashed. And then took over their dock, and had the second best view of the fireworks in the greater Madison area.

The best part of it is that we got to hang out with the rich people. I'm talking about the guys in fancy polo shirts who drove their golf cart over from their mansion because they are too rich to walk. The ladies who have knocked out like three kids that are all the biggest terrors in the world, and who go out shopping or whatever instead of disciplining them. It was hilarious.

I love hanging out with the richies because I am so obviously out of place. I like to sit and laugh at how ridiculous they are in their fancy folding chairs with the cup holders while I sit on the end of the dock with my friends, and a far better view.

Oh, and I also made sure to shout "I LOVE AMERICA" at the end. Because seriously, watching fireworks timed to "America the Beautiful" makes me feel proud of my country. And its an Olympic year and we all get a little more pride for our nation on Olympic years.

VIVA AMERICA!

No comments: