Sunday, December 7, 2008

Picasso Museum, Eiffel Tower and Holiday Market at La Defense

The weekend after Thanksgiving it was agreed among everyone that we all wanted to spend as much time together as possible, because we were all planning on parting ways the next weekend. So, the Saturday after Thanksgiving I woke up early and went to the Mirais with Alexa and Sarah.

We started out by getting falafel at one of the best (but not the best) falafel places in Paris. I had never had a proper falafel before, and I must say it was much better than I thought it would be. I was a little nervous because eggplants and beets were involved, but I survived. I probably won't go out of my way to have it again anytime soon, but now I can say I've done it.

After falafel we went to the Picasso Museum in the Mirais. The museum is one of the biggest collections of Picasso work in the world, and it also has a lot of his personal collection (of works from other artists). We got in for free with our History of Art Student ID cards (something the Center manufactured to get us into places for free, although its all a lie). I'm glad I went to the museum with other people because a lot of Picasso's work is really confusing, and it was fun to try to figure out what stuff was. Picasso also had some Matisses and a couple really nice pieces from Cezanne. I've decided that my favroite art is the post-impression, pre-crazy stuff. Meaning Matisse, Gaugin, and Cezanne. The Picasso stuff was incredible. There were rooms and rooms of stuff that he'd done... and this museum is only a small fraction of his total life's work.

We finished the museum at 3 or so, and stopped to get a coffee before heading off towards La Defense to see the Christmas Market. It was really fun. Just stalls and stalls of gifts and food. The food was the best part. I got a hot apple cider, and it hit the spot! There was also some nice music and a great general atmosphere. None of us had money so we agreed to go back the next day.

Our final stop (after dinner at home) was to go see the Eiffel Tower (at night). I've been past it several times, and of course you can see it rising up from just about everywhere, but I'd never been on the grounds when it was lit up. We headed over at about 8:30 to check it out. It was cool because it's currently lit blue to celebrate Sarkozy's presidency in the EU. It looks really awesome. And, at the top of every hour, for five minutes, they do a sort of flash bulb thing, so that it looks like it twinkles. It was amazing. I'll have to head back and see it next quarter when it is no longer blue (Sarkozy's term ends the 31st of December) to compare the beauty.

Sunday we went back to the Christmas Market to shop a bit for our families. I'm not going to tell you what I got in case they see this! But, it was really fun! I also ate the biggest hotdog of my life. Think footlong, but two of them, in a baguette. Haha!

No comments: