Sunday, December 7, 2008

L'Opera Comique

Our last group excursion was to the Opera Comique. The Opera Comique was established as a place where only French Operas would run, during the 1800s. We went to see Didon et Enee... a Purcell opera that was very hard to make sense of.

Before the Opera, however, we all went out for a nice dinner for Benna's Birthday. I can't remember the name of the place, and I could probably never find it again, but it was amazing. I shared an order of escargot with Sarah. I had to try it! And, surprisingly, I didn't hate it. It sort of tasted like garlicy pond water, but not necessarily in a bad way. I also had an amazing Salmon dish, and one of the best tiramisus of my life. It was nice to hang out with my program, and to do it in a proper french restaurant. We are all getting really good at this French thing. We had no problems ordering or anything.

The Opera itself was fun. Our seats weren't that great, but actually I'm glad we were up pretty high. The theater isn't that big at all, and I could imagine princesses in huge gowns hanging out in the boxes. We all felt really important, dressed up in nice clothes, at the Opera. The show was very pretty. The set design may have been the prettiest I have ever seen, and the dancing and singing was very nice. I didn't really understand the plot of the Opera, but then when I read up on it later I realized there really wasn't one. I get to go again next quarter, to a different one, and it should be just as fun!

No comments: