Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Trials and Tribulations of the Cycling World

If I could wish for one thing in the world, it would be to work in professional cycling. My degree from the University of Chicago would probably do me no good there, so having a back up plan is good, but if life were perfect, I would work in pro cycling. Maybe in race organization? Or team management? I wouldn't be a racer, that's for certain, but maybe a journalist (nah, I can't write worth a shit). Well whatever job it is, I know that I would love it.

All of that said, I'm finding the direction the cycling world is taking quite hard to follow. First you have some MAJOR athletes testing positive for EPO-CERA at the Tour de France, the third year in a row that high profile riders have been removed from the race. It's disappointing to me, and every time it happens I vow that the next time it happens I will quit watching the sport. But I don't. I guess it's people like me who have a little faith that keep it afloat.

The newest positives, Stefan Schumacher and Bernhard Kohl, have me a bit smug. Schumacher and Kohl were probably the only two guys in the entire Tour this summer that I cheered against. Usually I don't support cheering against people because I think it takes so much physical and mental strength to even finish, that they all deserve my respect. But I knew there was something up with Schumacher and Kohl. When the World Time Trial Champion gets soundly beaten in a race they are targeted, that is an indicator that something is probably up. And when the best climber jersey is won by an Austrian no one has really heard of, that is probably an indicator that something is up to. And when this same Austrian gets on the podium of the Tour de France, when they have never really even been near the top... yeah, something is definitely up.

I guess I'm just sick of the drama. Can the sport go even a week or two without speculations or accusations? These days probably not. Which sucks because it's guys like these that really hurt the sport. They draw attention away from the success stories. Like the stunning stage win of Samuel Dumoulin on the third stage of the Tour, out of a breakaway that eventually put a different Frenchman, Roman Feillu, in the yellow jersey. Or the strong and courageous effort put in by Carlos Sastre on Alpe d'Huez, that solidified his overall victory.

Another story that has popped out of pretty much nowhere is the return of Lance Armstrong to competition. I love Lance Armstrong. He is the reason I started watching in the first place. But I just feel uneasy about his return. What are the real motives behind it? Is there really going to be no power struggle at Team Astana? Not bloody likely I say. All of the whispers and speculation about his racing programme for next season are getting a bit old too. Is he or isn't he going to start the Tour de France? I think we should all just relax and wait and see.

Tranquillo.

It's a word the Spanish use to explain the feeling of calm before a race. I wish the Cycling World would be tranquillo.

No comments: