Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Life At The Chicago Paris Center

So it's been a few days since I've started classes, and I must say I really like going to the Paris Center. It may be a 30 minute metro odyessey to get there, but its very chill. I have my history class from 10-12:15 Monday through Thursday, and then on Mondays and Wednesedays I have a French Class from 1:30-3:00. I also have lots of sessions with teaching assistants to work on my grammar and my spoken language. On Fridays I have excursions to places of interest, most of which are topical to what we are studying in class. For example, Friday we are going to Poitiers, a city that has churches from like 500 AD.

A typical school day starts at 8:30. I wake up, make a cup of instant coffee, and get myself together for the day. I leave my chambre at 9am sharp (or as close as I can get) and head out the door, in the direction of the RER stop. What's been the case the last few days is that I run into someone on my way, or on the platform of the RER Train, so I'm never going alone. We take the RER Train four stops north to St. Michel-Notre Dame. If I got off and went outside I would be along the Seine, across from me, Notre Dame Cathedral. However, I don't leave the station, I switch from the B to the C Train and head south along the River to the stop at Bibliotheque Francois Mitterand. There I have a short five minute walk to the Paris Center.

I arrive at about 9:45, sometimes earlier. When I have time I might stop and buy a coffee or croissant at the cafeteria at Paris Universitaire 7-Denis Diderot. My first class of the day is at 10. It's French History. We sit in a small room and discuss the readings we had the night before. Most of the readings are historical texts written by people that were important at the time. For example, for the first class we read a work by Cesar that was a description of the Gaulois, people that would eventually become the French. After class its lunchtime. I'm trying to make an effort to bring my own lunch, to save some euros. I pack leftovers from the night before. Today, for example, I had spaghetti. If I don't have a lunch I might walk over to the cafeteria at Diderot, or a local cafe. We have an hour and fifteen minutes to eat.

On Tuesdays we can go home at this point, other days we might have French. French class is intended to help us improve our language skills. My entire program is conducted in french. From signing in to my building, to the Tour I was given, to asking where I can go to the restroom. I have to try and do as much of it as I can in French. The class then, is intended to help us improve our language skills, particualarly in the academic setting.

After French I am done for the day. If I need groceries I might stop by the Monoprix which is right outside the RER station, or else I might go to the library at Diderot to study. Otherwise I jump on the train and head home. On a day with French I usually get home around 4:00. It's a long day, but its nice. The Center is a good place to learn, with a very laid back atmosphere. I like that its not right where I live. There is no sense of doom hanging around. I usually have dinner at about 6:30 in the evening. I've been trying to make my own food. I'll make a large pot of spaghetti and then store the leftovers. I can make it last a few days, so I don't have to cook again for awhile. In the evening I do my homework and then go to bed.

On days without French I try to explore the city a little bit. Yesterday I went for a 45 minute walk, ending up in the neighborhood of Montparnasse. I keep my eyes open when I walk around, trying to find places I want to go back too, particularly cafes and restaurants.

And always, or at least every other day, on my way home I stop at my little boulangerie and pick up a baguette. Its less than a euro, and if you go at the right times then they are still warm.

No comments: