Friday, July 11, 2008

Four Down, Six To Go

We've got four weeks of camp done already. It seems like summer just started, and in a way it has because I'll be around until the 25th of September, which is still more than two long months away. Things have been slow going for me. Partly because of this unexplainable disease I have, which is probably mono, but no doctor has told me that it is anything. It might also be the plague of the kids, something one gets after being in a loud, kid-infested camp all day everyday. All I want to do on the weekends is sleep and be somewhere quiet. Of course my social life has taken a bit of a dive because I just can't get motivated to do anything when I'm home. Although the promise of Trivia Night at Quaker Steak and Lube could remedy this in the short-term. It's been unbelievably humid the past few weeks, and I can't take it anymore. So I lay around the basement of my house waiting for the next day I have to go to camp and get paid to sit around screaming kids who feel it is ok to dump a waterbottle full of water on their counselor. Just for the record I let them do it because it has been so freaking hot.

Anyways, we've got four down, six to go. And then I live the life of an unemployed, bored member of society for a month before heading to Europe. The excitement of that long month of September will only be amplified by the fact that all of my friends will return to school, and I will just have to sit and wait. And wait.

There have been no terribly eventful camp stories to tell as of late. I had more fun this week than any other so far because I was more relaxed and had mostly good kids. I even got up from sitting/lying on the benches to play a few times. I've already told myself I must relish next week when I will only have six campers, and the opportunity to go canoeing three days, and to the county fair another day.

Of course I have the Tour de France, part of the reason for my low motivation. It has not failed to impress so far this summer. Of course the first doping positive was announced today. A surprise to me, as I thought there would be one sooner in the race. I don't believe this "clean race" bullshit. The riders of the old generation, the Lance Armstrong Era, are in desperation mode. Either retire now, or use to stay with the younger guys, and face the wrath of the UCI/ASO when you get caught.

It used to be so much easier.

No comments: