Thursday, November 15, 2007

I'm Too Restless Here

I've decided that I am entirely too restless here in Chicago.

I've grown up and lived my entire life in the Midwest and I am ready for a change. I want to break out of the bubble I'm so used to and see the world. Right now I spend my days sitting in classes that are mildly interesting to interesting, and a lot of what I hear has to do with the world.

But this world is a world I've never actually seen.

The farthest from home I've ever been was California, and that was just this past summer. I've only spent a total of five nights off of US soil, seven days in total, and those forays were into Canada, which is hardly much different than the US.

I need to see something new. I want to experience things that I can't experience here.

I decided pursuing Study Abroad was my best bet for getting a real feeling of another part of the world. I've chosen a program in Paris that looks suitable for what I want. It offers an overview of French History, taught in the French Language, with many excursions integrated into the program. I think Paris will be a good springboard for forays into other parts of Europe as well, something I will be more than excited to pursue.

In the meantime I will likely be spending many hours fantasizing about what could potentially be my academic future, and searching for plane tickets to exotic locales on the internet. Tonight, I've been trying to find a cheap way to go to Costa Rica. Why? Because I want to swim in a waterfall and zip-line through the rain forest. I guess I can't really do that here can I?

Ah, restlessness.