Monday, February 2, 2009

La Puce a l'Oreille

Translated to "flea in the ear" this is the name of a play I had to go to for French class this past weekend. We read the play for class (which was a bit dull because it is very long), and then the Center got us tickets to go see it at the Theatre Athenee. The Theatre is in a very belle quartier (cute neighborhood) of Paris, to the northwest of the main Opera house (L'Opera Garnier). It is of the same time period as the Opera I believe, and was very beautiful.

The play itself was actually really really good. I was a bit dreading it because its 2 hours and 30 minutes without intermission, but it flew by. The cast was all very fun, and they really hit their stride in the second act. The story is a big jumble of people thinking that other people are cheating on each other, and it's all misconceptions and unclear language. Their is actually one guy in it who can't even speak consonants! The first act sets up the story, the second act is where all of the major suspicion takes places, and then the final act is the resolution. The second act was particularly funny because of the speed at which it was played out. It takes place in a hotel, and it was a constant motion of people leaving the stage, coming onto the stage, running through... exhilarating. I don't know if I've ever seen a play that was that "on" before. Very good.

Now I'm pretty much done with the theater, unless we get some surprise tickets, but I'm glad I got my chance to get dressed up a few times and go out with the French people!

No comments: